Friday, April 29, 2011

Government’s aid should be focused on providing the housing for victims as soon as possible 

(by Ms. Yoko Honma (56), Housewife, Ofunato-cho, Ofunato City, Iwate Prefecture, at the rent house in Ofunato City where she has taken shelter)

I saw a man counting coins in his hand at the grocery store the other day. He was trying to make sure if he had enough money for the items that he needed to buy. When I felt his desperation, I just could not help wishing that the donated money would be delivered to the victims as soon as possible. I am in the same boat. The longer the lives at the shelter, the more discouraged we would become. Food only is not enough for us to live in positive attitude. I was lucky to move into a rent house. I wish the government provide the aid to the victims as soon as possible so that the people can move out of the evacuation center and make living on their own.

Asahi Newspaper, April 29, 2011

Translated by Makiko Tajima Asano

No comments:

Post a Comment