Sunday, April 17, 2011

Home being in evacuation zone, not allowed to return--TEPCO's compensation not enough for long term

(by Mr. Tsuguo Tadokoro (62), Security Guard, Hirono-cho, Fukushima Prefecture at an evacuation center, Budokan, Adachi-Ward, Tokyo)

I am afraid that I won’t be able to return home as long as I live since the nuclear power plant accident was classified level 7 same as Chernobyl. We lived out of 20 kilometer radius from the plant, but the official told us not to return home. I’ve just paid off the mortgage loan, but my house was crushed down by the earthquake. And if your house is within 30 kilometer radius, and you will not be able to go for the inspection, then insurance company will not pay even a solatium. Tokyo Electric Company said that they would pay lump sum of one million yen to nuclear power plant accident evacuee, but it would not be enough for the long term evacuation life. I am living off my savings now. I am able to move into municipal housing in Tokyo on April 14th, so I’ll look for a job as a security guard in this area.


Asahi Shimbun, “Disaster Victim's Voice," April 16, 2011
Translated by Makiko Tajima Asano

No comments:

Post a Comment