Wednesday, April 20, 2011

As a fisherman, I’d like to go back to the sea because that's where I belong

(by Mr. Isao Imai (63), Minami Soma City, at Shinsan Gymnasium, Nagaoka City)
I used to fish on the fishing boat, the Daijuhachi Yamatomaru at Uketo Port in Namie-cho, Fukushima Prefecture. My house is located within 20 kilometers radius from the nuclear power plant. The port suffered the terrible attack of the tsunami and the boat was washed away. I’m afraid that the fish must be contaminated by the radiation. As I have been out on the sea throughout my life, I’d like to go back there again soon. I have been patient with the current situation thinking that the sea is where I belong.

Niigata Nippo netpark, "Voices of Evacuees in the Prefecture," April 20, 2011
http://www.niigata-nippo.co.jp/news/pref/22074.html

Translated by Makiko Tajima Asano

No comments:

Post a Comment