Thursday, March 31, 2011

Isolated for two nights, draw "SOS" on the rooftop and rescued arrived

(By Mr. Yoshiharu Watanabe, an evacuee at the Watari High School, Watari-Cho, Miyagi Pref.)
I evacuated to a middle school and spent two nights.  There were about 400 to
500 people and this place was isolated without water and foodstuff, of course no power.  We decided to take action and went up to the rooftop.  We wrote the messages on the floor with chalk; words such as 

MILK FOR BABY, 
WATER, FOOD, 
and SOS.

I was so relieved when I landed in the field of the stadium in Iwanuma after being rescued by a helicopter with the thought that I was able to stand on the ground.


From NHK website "Those Affected by the Disaster: What I want to tell you now" on March 29, 2011

The fourth photo from the top on the site is Mr. Watanabe.


1 comment:

  1. Seeing the scarcity of bottled water esp. in some areas of Japan I have compiled a few
    Survival tips: Out of bottled water? Drinking water contaminated? Here is what to do …
    http://crisismaven.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/survival-tips-out-of-bottled-water-drinking-water-contaminated-here-is-what-to-do/

    ReplyDelete