Friday, May 27, 2011

Hoping to go back to our house, though very concerned about the effect of the radiation on our grandchildren

(by Mr. Yasuo Itsuga (72)  from Minami Souma City, Fukushima Prefecture, now in Niigata City)
My original house located 2 kilometers from the coast was washed away, and I lost my sister, brother, and his grandson. I hate earthquake and tsunami, but I detest nuclear power plant. I am staying at this evacuation center with my grandchildren since March. Since their house is located outside of 20-kilometer restricted zone from the nuclear power plant, we could go back, if we all want, but I am scared to do so considering the effect on our young grandchildren with future. My son is staying at the house taking care of the business, and came to Niigata to check on us yesterday. We discussed “going back home by the end of summer break.” I hope the nuclear power plant issue would be settled by then.


Niigatqa Nippo, Voices of evacuees in the Prefecture, May 25th, 2011
http://www.niigata-nippo.co.jp/news/subgenre/51/23345.html

Translated by Makiko Tajima Asano

No comments:

Post a Comment