Sunday, April 10, 2011

The family rice fields of our pride devastated and it might take 100 years to restore

(by Mr. Tetsuo Tadano, evacuee from Isobe area, at General Welfare Center in Souma City, Fukushima Prefecture)
I was searching for the memorial tablets for my late wife and father. I wish I could find any memorabilia, but none. I am a rice farmer. There are about fifty rice farming families in this area, and this is the northern limit of Koshihikari (very famous brand of rice). The family rice fields that we cultivated and took great care for years are now covered with debris and cars. They do not look any good for growing rice; saltwater is still standing in the fields, too. I would say it must take a hundred years for the restoration because of the nuclear plants accidents. 



Victims’ Voice aired on NHK, April 7, 2011
Translated by Makiko Tajima Asano

No comments:

Post a Comment