Sunday, April 10, 2011

The fifth generation of pear farmer despaired by the rumor damage due to the nuclear plants accidents

( by Mr. Shoichi Yokoyama, evacuee from Isobe area, at General Welfare Center in Souma City, Fukushima Prefecture)
I am the fifth generation of pear farmer. The orchard is on the hill, so it remained as it was. I could start to grow even tomorrow. Even we could get crops and passed the radiation check, but rumor damage would be enormous.


Q) During the past fifty years, have you tried various methods to improve in growing pears?
We were practicing eco farming, and using very little agricultural chemicals. We established excellent reputation, but everything is ruined. I have got a successor, but ….


Q) What did your son say?
He encouraged me to try together. Oh, I just hope they could end the problems at the nuclear plants. That’s my only wish for now. 


Victims’ Voice aired on NHK, April 7, 2011
Translated by Makiko Tajima Asano

No comments:

Post a Comment